Sunday, November 28, 2010

Does Tomorrow Worry You?

The last few years I've become more aware of the fleetingness of life. My dad went to be with the Lord in July after four years of physical struggle. When he suffered his stroke during his open heart surgery, the lasting effects raised havoc every day. He needed every ounce of mental and physical energy for each step, every trip to the car, and every physical therapy visit. Every motion needed to walk, eat, get out of bed, use the facilities, or take a shower, required more energy than he possessed. 

Then God took him home.

Some may wonder, was it worth the effort? I'm not sure how my dad would answer but I can tell you that the last four years of his life were a gift to us. During that time we came to know a whole different side of him. We became acquainted with the parts of him that were buried under the weight of life's sorrow and hurt. We saw laughter that had been muffled, joy that hid under sorrow, gentleness and tears that had been stifled under a hard shell. Yes, we see those years as a gift.

So, I am more aware that there is no promise for tomorrow—other than God promises to be there with me. I don't know what I'll face—sickness, accident, death, sorrow, unemployment, financial worries...the possibilities are endless. Yet, in the midst of whatever I face God says, “I will be with you.”

As we begin the Advent season, the coming of Christ as a baby and as the Savior we will look at the words that Mary heard at the Angel's visit. In Luke chapter one, we read the story leading up to the birth of Christ. The angel Gabriel visits Mary, a teenage girl in the town of Nazareth and says, “The Lord is with you.” (Luke 1:28)

Whatever we face today. Whatever we might fear for tomorrow, these words apply to us too.

Today and in whatever tomorrow brings....He is with you!

Till next time and as we prepare our hearts to make room for Him,
(For the next few weeks we will take a look at the Angel's words to Mary and how they apply to our lives today)

Jeanne

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful blog. Thank you as always for sharing Jeanne. Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tom. It's so easy to forget when thinking about tomorrow, God is already there.

    He promises to never leave us. What a comfort!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.