Sunday, September 18, 2011

Me, Adventuresome? NOT!

Roger's Rock Face, Lake George, NY - We climbed the back side of this place
As much as I’d like to say I am adventuresome, there are a couple of examples that speak to the contrary:

I am learning Windows 7 with my new laptop and I am lost—so I am going through the tutorial videos to learn my way around. I like to do things correctly; that is to say I am not one to experiment with lots of different ways of doing things. Show me how to do it right then I can adapt it to my living-style. I can be adventurous within boundaries—safe places where I can be free to roam.

The other example that shows others just how timid I am, happened while on vacation in New York with my family. Our first day we decided to climb Roger’s Rock; we packed water and snacks, put on our hiking shoes and drove to the trail head. I recall someone mentioning something about a little hand over feet climbing as we went through the entrance gate of Roger’s Rock State Park…I wasn’t thinking anything of it at the time but decided since, that I need to update their site brochure to reflect the truth—this trail was not only poorly marked, it was dangerous!!

About 9/10ths of the way, straight up over rocks and crags, dodging loose rocks and hunting for safe footing, I became acutely aware that I would not be able to get back down. My thoughts then rambled to wondering if they had ever had to send in helicopter rescue for people like me that decided, “that’s it; I’m done.” And, then I proceeded to have a meltdown, complete with tears and panic-attack-like-shaking from within.

So, in front of my hike-a-mountain-a-day husband, and my three grown children—I became the child. The decision was made for me, that I would stay behind with my two daughters, standing on a 4x4 piece of level ground where I sat on a rock and hung onto a sapling for dear life. My husband and son continued to the top. All the while I just kept thinking, I have to go back down sometime--I don’t know if I can do it!

After what seemed like an hour, the guys were back and we began our descent, one steep step at a time. Every muscle screamed because of being scared out of my wits as rocks tumbled around us. It was then I decided that I am not very adventurous at all. Give me a nice stroll, a gentle climb, even a heart thumping hike, but I would forever avoid anything in the “challenging” category. I made it down safely with the help of my family and my God who protects me…but I was finished for the week. I’d had enough hiking and decided that sitting on the patio overlooking the water was just the adventure I was looking for.

The smile is because I am near the bottom!

So, as you can imagine, it takes a lot of coaxing to step out of my comfort zone. I can relate to the fear I see in the lives of those who God coaxed to serve Him. Abraham leaving his home to travel to an unknown place; Moses having to return to Pharoah and the land he’d fled from; Esther needing to approach the king; Joseph being sold into slavery by his brothers and finding God’s purpose for him there…I am a wimp when it comes to climbing mountains by faith, but I know that if I am called, He will lead me step-by-step to His purpose for me, because He says, “Fear not, for I am with you” every step of the way.

“Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

4 comments:

  1. I am about 90 minutes northwest of Lake George, not even Boy Scouts under 14 are allowed to climb that Rock!

    Next time you are there and bored, lunch is on me!

    Judith Coopy
    coopyju@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Judith! I will take you up on that offer. I'm all done with vigorous hiking.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanne,
    Your interview in the Sept Christian Communicator really struck a note with me. Thank you for the reminder that dry spells are temporary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Sally. And, for taking time to comment. The writer's journey...we all have stories to tell.

    Blessings,

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.