Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Waiting on Him - Thoughts about Pentecost

My kindred-spirit friends, Jenny and Karen roamed the trails of the National Park on Prince Edward Island with me last summer. Wildflowers waved in the warm sea breeze and sea grass tufts dotted the sandy dunes. They chose to climb the dunes to see what was on the other side. I decided the threat of snakes hiding in the tall grass wasn’t worth the view. I snapped their pictures as they ascended the sandy hills. They paused at the top so I could get their “we made it” pose captured on film; then they disappeared over the crest while I waited, alone.

I paced the pathway, taking macro pictures of Queen Anne’s lace and fat caterpillars lazing on leaves. I watched, shielding my eyes from the sun, but they stayed hidden by the dune barrier. Eventually they appeared at the crest of the dune path, but not before I wished I had gone with them. I feel like I missed out on part of the adventure by waiting behind.

In Acts chapter one, Jesus tells His disciples, “Wait in Jerusalem for the Helper, who will give you power to be my witnesses.” Then He was taken up to Heaven, and disappeared beyond the clouds. I wonder how they felt. I wonder if they minded having to wait. I can imagine their discussions amongst each other, wondering ‘just who or what this Helper was’ anyway.

In Acts chapter two, we can read about the coming power Jesus promised: The rushing wind, the flames of fire and the words spoken in other tongues. From that day, believers in Christ have been given the Holy Spirit’s indwelling power. Jesus’ promise that He will never leave us, now makes sense. His Spirit fills us so that we can not only be His witnesses, but we can live the life that God calls us to, one worthy of His calling.

I believe that throughout our Christian walk we will face times of waiting—situations when we will need to come before Him to receive the power needed for what He calls us to do. Waiting can be a time of surrender, or in the case of Moses, a time of preparation. As hard as waiting can be, I have learned that it is never wasted. Waiting and stillness often produces far more than we imagine. Even Jesus took time to wait in the Father’s presence, because in God’s sovereignty He brings all things together—as scripture often says, “In the fullness of time.”

As we step out to answer God's call to serve, may we be mindful of needing to wait in His presence for the power needed to complete the task we have been given. Where God calls, He provides what we need as we surrender ourselves and wait for the Holy Spirit’s power and direction. Waiting may seem hard. We may not understand what’s needed to accomplish the tasks, but can trust in His word that promises His power and direction to equip us to serve if we will tarry in His presence.

Waiting on Him,

Jeanne

12 comments:

  1. I like this:
    "may we be mindful of needing to wait in His presence for the power needed to complete the task we have been given"

    A recharger station is just what I need. I wonder why I keep walking right by it. Thanks for the reminder, Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write so beautifully, Jeanne. It is always a joy to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie's mom...a recharger station; what a great visual. And, it's right at the feet of Jesus!

    Hugs,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping in, Pat and for your kind words!

    Hugs,

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pausing in the wait is a powerful time when praise is stirred in. Steeping is the silence is when I feel the Spirit move within me. Thank you, Jeanne for today's post. It's a beautiful written reminder for me to pause and praise the Lord for the strength He has put in us who believe.
    Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, Carolyn. Praise is the buoy in the stormy sea.

    Thanks for stopping in and leaving your thoughts,

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written. Made me realize how often a time of waiting is also a time of solitude. maybe loneliness but more often solitude. will have to ponder that....

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, and as expected, I loved reading this, Jeanne. You have a unique way with words and description. Ever thought about being a writer? LOL

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Jean. There is truth in what you're saying...we often go through a wilderness time in preparation for things. But even that, when we are waiting it often seems everyone else is humming along, leaving us behind.

    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Peg, you are funny! Thanks for the kind encouragement :)

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is just what I needed this morning Jeanne! Waiting is my main activity lately. Thanks for the reminder that all things are in His hands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you during this season, Piano Player :)
    There is a devotional by Mrs. Charles Cowman that speaks about there being music in the "rest"

    He will 'bring you in' right on time.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.