Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wave Action, Stilling the Storm

 
If there’s one thing I’ve learned about life, it's that it happens without my permission. Lately I’ve been overloaded with things I have no control over. This is nothing new; as a matter of fact I should be fairly used to it by now. Whether from job stress, decisions, or family concerns…there is plenty of wave action happening around me.

Remembering the story of when the disciples got into a boat with Jesus to go across the lake enables me to endure the waves, because this story has a message for me too.

While sailing across the lake, a storm came up. The disciples wake Jesus who had fallen asleep and frantically cry, “Teacher, don’t you care that we are perishing?” They call Him, Teacher, but when Jesus calms the wind and the waves with words, they question each other, wondering who He could be because even the winds obeyed Him.

Throughout the Gospels they come face to face with themselves and their ability to believe as Jesus cast out demons, healed a woman who’d been bleeding for years, and raised up a girl who was pronounced dead. ..For three years He continued to build their faith in His ability to meet their every need. Jesus met every situation with wisdom, grace and discernment. It wasn’t long before they believed in Him as their LORD.

In my boat, I have cried out to Him too. Intellectually I know everything is under control because He is sovereign, but in my heart things don’t feel quite so peaceful. The thing I have learned is that Jesus is in my boat. Through this story I know that everything I face gives me opportunities for a greater glimpse of who He is and how He is able to work mighty things in my life. In the midst of life’s storms, He has the power to bring stillness to my heart as I trust that He commands all by His name.

So when the stormy winds begin to blow, listen for His voice commanding all to be still. Then watch for a new understanding of His character because His power is the same as He quiets the storms raging around us yesterday, today and forever.

Tell of how you learned more about Him through your storms, and,

                                                                               Stay in the boat. Jesus is there!

                                                                 Jeanne

Read this story in three of the Gospels; Matthew 8:18-27, Mark 4:35-41, and Luke 8:22-25

Images courtesy of www.morguefile.com

5 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    Thanks for this! It's so easy to panic at the first wave and start rocking the boat like crazy. What a comfort that it is not our boat to command.
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once heard that the ark didn't have a rudder...interesting concept! He knows where we need to end up and will lead us with a steady hand.

    Hugs,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, and timely post, Jeanne. One I think you'll understand I needed to hear right now.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg,

    Lots of people seem to be in the same "boat" at the moment. He is the same Jesus who calmed the wind and the waves. What an awesome God we serve!!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jeanne for reminding us who is in charge, even of the wind and waves. As you know, many of us have needed this reminder recently. Blessings on your writing and in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.