Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Summer Study in the Book of Ruth - Part of My Growth Plan

You may remember earlier this summer, I encouraged making a plan for summer growth. Did you discover things in your study of God's word this summer?

 
I'd love to hear about your plan. How did you grow in your faith this summer?

I began reading the Book of Ruth. I read and re-read. I studied. I underlined. I made lists...

Ruth's story has always been a favorite - It's a love story, really. Who doesn't like a good love story?

After losing her husband and two sons, Naomi returns to Bethlehem (House of Bread) with her daughter-in-law, Ruth. They arrive at the beginning of the barley harvest. Without her husband, Naomi is destitute. Without children, Ruth is without a future.



In the midst of their emptiness and despair, God had a bigger plan. I discovered some wonderful things as I read their story.

Did you know that chapter one uses the word RETURN twelve times?

And GLEAN is used twelve times in chapter two.

REDEEM is used twelve times in chapters three and four.

Ruth and Naomi encountered God's provision and protection in this wonderful story. It's a story of love between Naomi and her daughter-in-law, Ruth. And a powerful love story between Ruth and Boaz, her kinsman-redeemer.

Yet, the greater message in the story is one of God's love for all people, and the special plan to bring the Messiah into the world through the line of David - Ruth's great-grandson.

Just as Boaz became Ruth's kinsman-redeemer...Jesus is our kinsman-redeemer. So beautiful!

Some of the messages/themes I found in the book of Ruth:

Coming Alongside
Emptiness Being Filled
Protection and Provision
Following God
Restoration
Redemption
Perseverance
Embracing Change
Investing in Lives
God's Sovereignty (Big Picture Plan)
God's Favor (Grace)
Trusting God through Adversity

One Ah-Ha moment message I gleaned from my study of Ruth:

Even in times of famine we can glean a harvest. (Click to Tweet)

Have you read the story of Ruth? I'd love you to share your thoughts...

His word is rich and full of blessings,


Jeanne

Thank you for sharing this message with your readers and contacts.
I'm on sabbatical and have unplugged while working on some writing and speaking projects. I appreciate your help while I'm away from my computer.

These resources will enhance your reading of the Book of Ruth:



Images courtesy of Morguefile.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeannie! I tweeted your awesome tweet! I wrote a study on Ruth this spring and so fell in love with Jesus as represented by the gentle, strong, and faithful Boaz. I loved what you found about the 12's. Hadn't caught that. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Andy. I can't wait to see your study on Ruth...is that the one you got the contract?
    Wish we lived closer, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.