Friday, September 10, 2010

Restoring Beauty - After The Locusts Eat

When I was a teen, I got an old chest of drawers from a family member who passed away. The oak dresser had brass handles, small drawers and a cubbie door above and full size drawers below. It was in dire need of some T.L.C., airing out and a new finish. So, I set to work, sanding and brushing on coats of finish until it didn't look half bad. I really enjoyed bringing it back to life and found satisfaction in restoring its beauty.

To restore means to bring to its original state or intent. To relate this to spiritual terms, when we come to Christ, He restores us to our relationship to the Father, one of fellowship and community, just as it was in the Garden of Eden. Scripture says we were made in God's image; Adam and Eve had fellowship with God in the garden. But, sin broke that connection.

The good news is He promises to restore what the locust has eaten (Joel 2:25). I can't imagine what it looks like after a swarm of locusts blows through; pretty bleak. Yet, I know there are many with stories of how God restored and redeemed what they thought was lost. God restores our relationship in Christ and then begins our life-long restoration process to become more like Him.

My locusts have been fear and discouragement. They ate away at everything, it was really hard to have hope. I have been living with the effects of locusts for the past few years—so many changes, the death of dreams, and discouragement with a capital 'D'. I struggled with the restoration process because it hurt. My natural tendency was to escape, to do anything to cut it short. But in the end I see how it was necessary in order to bring forth beauty and His intent. God is faithful. I feel the anchor of hope held fast and I am starting to dream again.

My old dresser couldn't be restored without first stripping away the old finish. The same holds true in my life. God is in the business of restoring lives. He specializes in broken people, marriages, families, health, loss of hope and so much more. Yet, our restoration always begins with Himself.

What are your locusts? Has God begun to restore what has been stripped away?
Discover what Scripture says about pruning—how are these topics related in your life?

May He bring forth beauty in you,

Jeanne

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful illustration, Jeanne. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Jeanne. I've been to that discouraged, devastated place and I've held on to hope by my fingernails. Love the passage about restoring the years. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and timely post. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanne, This illustration and application spoke volumes to me reminding me of Bible truths that I tend to forget to focus upon. Fear and discouragement both haunt me when I take my focus from Christ. Thanks for the reminder. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we got married nearly 7 years ago, Jon was in school and eventually had to work nights in order to keep up with his classes. For over 5 years I felt the "locusts" of lost family time, insufficient income, and loneliness. He graduated last Dec. and found a day-time position this past June. Slowly, the leaves are beginning to sprout again in our family life!! As awful as "locusts" are, the removal of them is all the sweeter for having endured their destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an antique dresser, too. Thank you for your story on restoration. It runs through the book of Isaiah! God does beautiful things when we turn to Him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do think locusts are rampant. I am so thankful the God's restoring power trumps the effect. I have been reading Philippians 4:6-9....keys for abundant living.

    More later,

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. The locust ate away at my faith as the cancer ate up the life of my only sister. But our God is so faithful. He has loved me back to faith. He has restored my soul. Amen Jeanna. He is good. I think my paint is a little bit shinier because of His touch! Keep writing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanne,
    I have really appreciated your words of encouragement. It's so nice to read your words again! This post in particular has encouraged me as it would seem the locusts have moved into my life and have devoured much. I look forward to those years of restoration. Much love to you!
    ~Silvana

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful to hear from you, Silvana! I will be praying for you. It is hard to go through the locust-times. I am so thankful that He is faithful to keep His promises.

    Time has flown by--I am sure the kids are grown by now!

    Hugs,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.