Sunday, September 19, 2010

“Be anxious for nothing...” Philippians 4:6-9

Anxious, who me? Well, okay, maybe just a tad!

Be anxious for nothing Philippians 4:6-9

As much as I say I trust God and know He has things under control, I do feel anxious. I have children who live in other states. I worry about my mom after my father's passing. I worry about my sisters who are both dealing with divorce and rejection. I worry about my to-do list. I worry about change. There are times when I can seem to let go, but most of the time, if I am honest, anxiety just simmers slowly on the burner of life.

That must be why Paul says in Philippians 4:6-9, “be anxious for nothing...” I guess things haven't changed much since the first century. They had worries then too. 

So, if the Word is living and active, sharper than a two-edged sword, then Paul's admonishments are for me too. So how do I make these words my own? How do they become my prayer, sinking deep, bringing me to a place of contentment? How do I live beyond the simmering anxiety, abundantly as Christ says in John 10:10?

Be anxious for nothing Philippians 4:6-9

A few times in my life I have conquered the worry for a few moments and experienced peace as I made Paul's 'whatever is...” list take over my thoughts. Yet, it is something that I don't seem to learn naturally. It doesn't stick and become the default thought path. I need to relearn the lesson every time anxiousness gets the upper hand. 

My desire is to have the hope of this passage root deep into my heart, soul, and mind so that the peace that Jesus offers is real everyday.

Do you have worries that have been tamed by the truths of this passage? I would love to hear your stories. I know they would encourage others too. So, please post your thoughts and over the next few messages we can try to unpack these verses to find the timeless treasure they offer.


Jeanne

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    This is my favorite passage of scripture and I have clung to vs. 6& 7 as my "life verses". The Lord has taught me to trust Him fully through these verses. He has worked in powerful ways to help me see the truth of this great promise...He has given me His peace when I lay my requests before Him and let them go. This is a peace that I have not known from any other source. It is directly from Him. To be able to experience His peace knowing that, although I have laid my requests before Him, it is His will that will be done - not mine - is truly a miracle. Praise God from whom all belssings flow.
    Your sister in the Lord.....Karen Ryll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Karen. He is our source of peace. And, in His presence, there is peace. Alleluia.
    If we, as believers can accomplish nothing but reminding to one another of this gift, we will be the encouragers that God wants us to be.

    Your sista'

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.