Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorials & Remembrances

Memorials are meant to bring to mind events, people, victories or defeats, all so that we don’t forget their importance. One of my favorite memorials is found in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The Forefather’s Monument* is breathtakingly spectacular and causes me to reflect on its symbolism every time I visit.

Memorials are nothing new; Joshua (chapters 3 & 4) was instructed by God to have twelve men bring twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan River and set them on the bank as a memorial. Why? So that when anyone asked they would tell of how God delivered them, parting the Jordan River so that the Ark of the Covenant and nation of Israel could cross into the Promised Land on dry ground.

In the same way, I think God wants us to remember His faithful provision and tell our children and anyone who asks what God has done on our behalf. These memorials can be written in a journal, captured in a photo, or brought to life in a story, all to be shared with others. Why? Because when we tell others how He has met our need, their faith is built and ours is emboldened.

This Memorial Day, we remember all those who have sacrificed for freedom in our country. Many have given their lives. Many have suffered effects. And, all have given time away from their loved ones to fight on our behalf. Whenever I see someone in uniform I am sure to thank them for all they do.

And, most of all we remember the One who sacrificed Himself so that we can have eternal life—Jesus. The cross is the memorial of what He did for you and for me. His sacrifice freed us from sin, death and the grip of the enemy. He gave up His place on high to become the lamb that was slain, perfect and unblemished—to atone for the sin of the whole world.

As we pause to remember so much today, how can you be more intentional about gathering stones of remembrance to share of what He has done for you?

Reflecting on His goodness,

Jeanne

“Come and hear, all who fear God, and I will tell of what He has done for my soul.” Psalm 66:16



*For more information about the National Forefather’s Monument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Monument_to_the_Forefathers

5 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful, Jeanne. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Pat. Enjoy your holiday. And, may His faithfulness be remembered and passed on to encourage others.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful scripture, picture and thought. Thank you for the reminder. Makes me wonder who will read my prayer journals after I'm gone. I've heard of some families taking them to the thrift stores. I'd prefer they stay in the family, but if they make it to others, I pray God uses the inspiration to increase His kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue,

    I have wondered the same thing. My journals line a shelf...
    Maybe we need to "will" them to someone we know will read them and share them with others?

    A relative just shared with me that when their mother died they threw out her diaries. Just didn't know what to do with them in the midst of all of the other things that needed going through. They regret it now.

    Something to think about.

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.