Wednesday, May 20, 2015

It's An Investment

My guest this week is Melissa Longval. She writes transparently on her blog called, Taste and See That the Lord is Good


Her words to us are both encouraging and a challenge. Because investing in lives is what Jesus did...what He calls us to do. Click to Tweet


Welcome, Melissa!!


It's an investment

As I am now in my forties, hindsight is long and indeed useful for showing me how the Lord has been with me all my life. Circumstances, choices, and “coincidences” reveal His love, care, and provision over and over again. But none more than the godly people He has placed in my life to mentor, invest, and guide me in His ways.

These people loved the Lord and saw something in me that I couldn’t see in myself. They saw value where I saw deficiency. They saw potential, gifting, and talent where I saw average, plain, and ordinary. These people didn’t view me higher than anyone else, but because of their love for the Lord, they valued me. Because of the wisdom of the Lord, they were willing to foster the potential they saw to help bolster my faith.

It's an investment

With encouraging words, quality time, and listening ears, these people…these precious gifts instilled in me a desire to know their God…this Jesus that they loved so much. Why would they care for me? What made them invest in me?

It's an investment
Feel free to share this image by Melissa Longval

Friends, never underestimate the power of a kind word or gesture! Click to Tweet

Something small and maybe insignificant to you, can literally change the course of someone’s life. A small, “how’ve ya been?” and then really listening. Truly wanting to spend time with another person can be such a gift.

We see this with Paul and Timothy. As Paul writes his second letter to Timothy from prison (some experts say this was his last letter), we catch an intimate glimpse into how much time Paul has invested in Timothy.

"You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance,  persecutions, sufferings…" 2 Timothy 3:10-11

We are all busy. I get it…truly. But busyness in NOT godliness. I feel so strongly about being intentional with investing in others. God brings people into our lives every day. Now, with internet, we have more exposure to people than ever before. How are we loving other people? Are we investing? Are we willing to spend time with people? Can we teach and encourage?

It's an investment

The people the Lord used to mentor me were not scholars, counselors, or professionals, but ordinary individuals willing to let Jesus love me through them. 

Are you willing?


Melissa



It's an investment
Hello! My name is Melissa Longval from New Hampshire. I am married to my childhood sweetheart. We have a two children, a daughter and son, who make us laugh and help us grow in the Lord every day. Keith and I are blessed to do ministry together.


The Lord had impressed upon my heart a desire to share my life with others. So I have very recently started my blog. “Taste and See that the Lord is Good” at www.melissalongval.wordpress.com . We all have hardship, but our Lord and Savior is good and kind through all of life’s messes.  My heart’s desire and prayer is that through the stories of my life, you would see the goodness and kindness of Jesus in your own.


Check out this mentoring resource just published in April:





Images courtesy of Morguefile.com unless otherwise noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation. Your comment will appear once I moderate. This helps to combat spam messages. Thanks for your understanding.
If you have trouble posting a comment, please contact me.